Choosing a college major is a big decision. When considering all the available options, it can feel overwhelming. It's important to research the different majors so you can make an informed decision that aligns with your interests and experiences. Let’s take a look at some of the top college majors for 2022-2023.
Top College Majors of 2022-2023:
1. Computer Science - Computer Science is the study of computing systems to understand and use technology in various industries. This major is ideal for those interested in coding, coding languages, and software development. In this major, you will acquire the skills and knowledge needed to build websites, apps, and more. Technology is ever evolving. As we become reliant on it, computer science knowledge and training is becoming more desirable.
Computer Science is a career pathway available at both the middle and high school levels. This career pathway can prepare you for positions such as Software Developer, Applications, Web Developer and Computer User Support Specialist. Learn more about this career pathway program.
2. Electrical Engineering - Electrical engineering is for anyone interested in the design and development of electrical systems. You will learn about the study of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Electrical engineers work in many different industries, from consumer electronics and communications to energy production and medical equipment.
3. Actuarial Science - Actuarial Science applies mathematical and statistical methods to analyze and assess risk and uncertainty in the insurance and finance industry. It’s a great outlet to get involved in the business world using your mathematical skills. To pursue an actuarial science major, you'll typically need to have a strong background in mathematics and statistics, as well as a good understanding of economics, finance, and investments.
4. Healthcare Administration - Healthcare Administration offers a variety of career paths and opportunities. It’s a growing field that requires an understanding in medical processes, compliance, and administrative tasks. With a degree in Healthcare Administration, you can find careers in hospital management, insurance companies, health information technology, and other areas.
5. Business Administration - Business administration is a diverse field. You will learn a variety of business topics, such as finance, marketing, accounting, and human resources. Depending on your interests and career goals, you may choose to focus your studies in one specific area or take a broader approach. Some of the skills you can expect to gain from a business administration major include problem solving, communication, critical thinking, data analysis, and project management.
If you are interested in business, Delaware Pathways offers a NAP Academy of Business Information Management career pathway. This program introduces students to skills needed to evaluate business functions essential to efficient and productive business operations.
6. Nursing - Nursing is a rewarding and challenging field with many different specialty options available. Depending on your specific interests, you can pursue a degree in general nursing, pediatric nursing, geriatric nursing, mental health nursing, and many more.
If you are interested in Nursing, take a look at theNurse Assistingpathway. Within this pathway, students learn important skills necessary for healthcare professionals.
7. Finance - Finance is a popular major that can open up doors to a variety of career paths. To gain a better understanding of the subject, it's important to build a strong foundation in business fundamentals such as accounting, economics, and marketing. You'll also need to expand your knowledge in financial analysis, portfolio management, and taxation.
You can participate in theNAF Academy of Financepathway if you have an interest in this field. This program introduces students to the world of financial services focusing on banking and credit, financial planning, accounting, and insurance.
8. Education - As an education college major, students will gain a thorough understanding of how educational systems operate. You will learn about the history of education, the different theories and approaches to teaching, and the challenges faced in today's educational system. You will also get hands-on experience in developing lesson plans, analyzing student performance, and observing classrooms.
Whichever major you choose to fulfill, you’ll want to make sure it aligns with your goals, interests, and skills. It’s never too early to start working towards your future career. Delaware Pathways provides many opportunities for career exploration through the pathway programs. Find the pathway that’s right for you!
Subscribe to our email newsletter
Sign up and get the freshest tips and tricks, delivered straight into your inbox twice a week.